Gotta a lotta of basil? Make some pesto! Pine nuts are kind of pricey these days, but you can use walnuts and it's just as delicious. Use a food processor or emulsion blender.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine basil, nuts, garlic and cheese. Blend a bit, scrape down sides. Repeat until it's all pulverized. Then add your olive oil and process again. Add salt and pepper. Serve with pasta or baked potatoes.
- Store it in the jar for a couple of weeks. This makes it easy to make small "lunchable" batches. Just spoon a bit onto warm pasta and mix it up.
- It can be frozen, but don't add the Parmesan cheese. It can do funky things when frozen. Add the cheese right before you use it.
We've been enjoying it with cherry tomatoes and grilled chicken.